26 March 2020 – Our PM has announced the enhancement of Wage Subsidy Programme (WSP) to aid more SMEs who has impacted due to the Covid-19 outbreak. The Wage Subsidy Programme is aimed to help 4.8million workers with the budget allocation of RM 13.8 Billion.
What is Wage Subsidy Programme (WSP) ?
The Wage Subsidy Programme is an extension of the Government’s initiative to aid employers to retain their employees by providing the financial assistance to EMPLOYERS from RM 600 to RM 1,200 per month – per employee who salary is RM 4,000 and below.
How to Apply?
1) Logon to https://www.perkeso.gov.my/index.php/en/wage-subsidy-programme
2) Download the Form PSU50 & Employee Listing (Borang Senarai Perkerja) & Form BRN
3) Read through the FAQ
4) Submit on the portal of Prihatin PKS (http://prihatin.perkeso.gov.my)
Common FAQ By GOBI
(Below FAQ ARE NOT WHOLLY AND EXCLUSIVELY – For Full FAQ, you will need to refer to official PERKESO website which is (https://www.perkeso.gov.my/index.php/en/wage-subsidy-programme)
Q1 : What are the criteria to apply WSP?
1) Both EMPLOYER and EMPLOYEE must be registered and contributed to SOCSO
2) Business that has registered with SSM / Local Authorities before 1/1/2020
3) Business that started operating before 1/1/2020
Q2 : Who is NOT eligible to claim the WSP?
1) Business that start after 1/1/2020
2) Business that never contributed SOCSO before OR contributed after Jan 2020
3) Employee who salary is more than RM 4,000 per month
4) Employee that has already applied for ERP (Employee Retention Program)
5) Foreign workers and Expatriate
Q3 : What is the requirement for Employer if they successfully get their subsidy of WSP?
1) Employer must ENSURE they would not TERMINATE the employees for the period of 6 months
2) Employer must ENSURE they would not reduce the salary of the employees for the period of 6 months
3) Employer must ENSURE they would not force / instruct their employees to take UNPAID leave
Q4: Can employers apply WSP and ERP at the same time?
1) Yes, employers can do so. However, the application for WSP and ERP cannot be done for the same employees.
Q5 : For businesses that have 75 employees and below, do I need to justify the Sales/ Revenue drop by 50%?
Answer: Based on the guidelines as of 7/4/2020, the employer no longer required to justify the sales drop to apply for the WSP. Hence, as long as employers have contributed their employees’ SOCSO – they are eligible to apply.
Q6 : For businesses that has more than 75 employees, what is the formula to justify the sales / revenue drop more than 50% ?
Answer : Sales of January 2020 will be served as the baseline and will be used to compare against Sales of the following months.